Many technologies that support mindfulness meditation employ feedback to users to notify them about their mindfulness state and help them improve their practice. In this context, we explore interactive soundscapes modulated by electroencephalogram (EEG) data to support attentional focus and meta-awareness during mindfulness meditation. Specifically, we rely on first-person perspectives of practitioners; the momentary, lived experience during the practice. Through a series of labs, workshops and use of the Inside-Out Probe Workbook, we developed two interactive soundscapes designed and tested in a sitting and walking meditation context.
A series of cases explore mindfulness meditation. These range from sitting meditation to walking meditation with an overarching theme of using interactive elements inspired by nature sounds to augment the experience. We explore interactive soundscapes modulated by EEG brainwave sensors for mindfulness meditation, specifically aiming to help and guide novice practitioners to engage with the practice in meaningful ways. The cognitive complexities of emotions and individualized coping strategies make it a difficult space for design. We employ first-person perspectives and qualitative methodology for examining the intertwining of emotional activities and mindfulness exercises, as a strategy for controlling emotional repercussions. This line of research contributes design guidelines for supporting mindfulness practitioners through interactive soundscapes, as well as methodological contributions around capturing first-person perspectives in soma-based design as an aesthetic approach to foster embodied experiences.
- Dr Karen Cochrane
- Dr Lian Loke
- Dr Naseem Ahmadpour
- Matt Leete
- Anne Cochrane, K., Mah, K., Ståhl, A., Núñez-Pacheco, C., Balaam, M., Ahmadpour, N., & Loke, L. (2022, February). Body Maps: A Generative Tool for Soma-based Design. In Sixteenth International Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction (pp. 1-14)
- Cochrane, K., Loke, L., Leete, M., Campbell, A., & Ahmadpour, N. (2021, February). Understanding the first person experience of walking mindfulness meditation facilitated by EEG modulated interactive soundscape. In Proceedings of the Fifteenth International Conference on Tangible, Embedded, and Embodied Interaction (pp. 1-17).
- Cochrane, K. A., Loke, L., Ahmadpour, N., Schiphorst, T., Campbell, A., & Núñez-Pacheco, C. (2021). A comparison design study of feedback modalities to support deep breathing whilst performing work tasks. Work, 68(4), 1187-1202.
- Cochrane, K. A., Loke, L., Campbell, A., Leete, M., & Ahmadpour, N. (2020, July). An Interactive Soundscape to Assist Group Walking Mindfulness Meditation. In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Movement and Computing (pp. 1-3).
- Cochrane, K., Loke, L., Campbell, A., & Ahmadpour, N. (2020, December). Mediscape: Preliminary design guidelines for interactive rhythmic soundscapes for entraining novice mindfulness meditators. In 32nd Australian Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (pp. 379-391).